When the pandemic started in March, few expected us to still be feeling the detrimental physical, mental and economic effects by November. While there are talks of a vaccine, it appears that we’ll still be seeing significant change and adjustment to our everyday lives as we move through 2021. In addition to COVID-19, there is political unrest, rioting, natural disasters around the world and an overall feeling of uneasiness.
During these unsettling times, people look to the leaders in their lives more than ever. As a manager, boss or business owner, you are in a position to lead the people on your team in staying calm, moving forward and maintaining progress.
Tip #1: Make Decisions with Speed Over Precision
This may be a surprising one to hear, but at times when things are changing quickly or news is traveling fast, being a decisive, quick-to-act leader can go a long way.
The strongest leaders will:
- Quickly process the information they have been given.
- Determine what matters the most for not only the overall organization but the team.
- Make their decisions with conviction.
When the future is uncertain and you aren’t sure where your business is headed or what exactly is happening in the world, it can be easy to get stuck in the moment and overwhelmed by anxiety.
But as a strong leader, you can keep your team focused and moving forward towards your long-term goals.
Tip #2: Embrace Bold Changes
Strong leaders work to stay on top and ahead of big changes - making them better prepared for what could be coming.
But the truth is, just because you’re in charge doesn’t always mean you have the answers. Effective leaders know their limits and recognize the need to tap into the knowledge and talents of others when necessary.
As a leader who isn’t afraid to boldly adopt changes, you’re able to:
- Change the “old way” of doing something (if it’s no longer working).
- Recognize mistakes and change course quickly.
- Communicate effectively with team members in order to better assess and lead in all aspects of your company.
Tip #3: Be Reliable in Your Delivery
Strong leaders take personal responsibility and ownership during turbulent times - even if many of the situations are out of their control.
During times of uncertainty, you should strive to:
- Stay alert and aligned with your team’s objectives by checking in on daily priorities.
- Set Key Performance Indicators and determine the most effective way to measure these metrics. These should be monitored and reported back regularly.
- Keep your own mental health and stamina in check, ensuring you are alert, level-headed and ready to tackle the challenges ahead.
Tip #4: Engage With Your Team
Connecting and communicating with your team is more important than ever during a time of crisis. You have the awareness to know that each member of your team is affected directly by the changing world around them - and that each is handling it in their own way. With the understanding that your employees are feeling stressed and uncertain, it’s important that you take the time needed to effectively communicate with them on a regular basis.
Making sure your team is okay personally is one thing, but connecting and making sure everything is running smoothly at work as your firm moves forward is crucial.
Your leadership skills enable you to:
- Connect with each team member individually and make sure everything is okay with them.
- Ensure separate teams are engaging and communicating effectively.
- Ask for help when needed.
- Balance your focus between your clients or customers and your team, as both need extra communication and support during this difficult time.
This year has been anything but ordinary, as millions of people continue to struggle around the world. Many businesses have had to adapt to the “new normal” as companies continue to conduct business remotely or in a different way. Now is the time for leaders to step up and lead their teams through this turbulent year so that they can emerge even stronger than before.
This content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information, and provided by Twenty Over Ten. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security.
Paradigm Advisors is a fee-only financial planning firm based in Dallas, Texas and Fayetteville, Arkansas. Paradigm Advisors provides comprehensive financial planning and investment management services to help clients organize, grow and protect their wealth throughout life’s journey. Paradigm specializes in advising young professionals and entrepreneurs in the early stages of life and well-established career executives through financial planning and investment management. As a fee-only fiduciary and independent financial advisor, Paradigm never receives commission of any kind. Paradigm is legally bound by certification to provide unbiased and trustworthy financial advice.